Isn’t everyone talking about streaming wars? This may seem like a new phenomenon, but it all started in 2007 when Netflix introduced streaming for the first time. With Disney Plus and Apple TV gaining traction, we are exploring what the future of streaming might look like and how it could shape the media landscape. On this episode Nick Grous, analyst at ARK Invest, shares his broad perspective and insightful knowledge on the current streaming wars taking place across the globe.
On day one of their launch in November 2019, Disney Plus received over 10 million subscribers from just a handful of countries. Nick explains how the growing competition, like Disney Plus and Apple TV, impacts Netflix – the market leader in the streaming space. We explore some of the history behind streaming and why it took other companies over 12 years to start competing with Netflix. Lastly, we discuss how companies are expanding their business models and products in order to win a piece of the pie. Take a listen to this episode if you want to know who ARK believes might be best positioned in these streaming wars.
Key Points from This Episode:
- How Netflix revolutionized streaming back in 2007.
- Who we believe are the main streaming competitors today.
- Find out how the launch of Disney Plus and Apple TV are faring in comparison to Netflix.
- Discover why it took the industry 12 years to respond seriously to the domination of Netflix.
- Why we Nick believes legacy companies today are responding with mergers and acquisitions.
- Find out what Netflix has done to scale more rapidly and globally than its competitors.
- Stepping into the ad-supported market versus Subscription Video on Demand (SVOD).
- Why live sport and live news still makes cable TV an attractive option for consumers.
- New strategies companies are implementing into their business models beyond streaming.
- Predictions for the future of the streaming space: Is Disney Plus going to win the war?
“Before, Netflix was the undisputed king. Now, they have true competitors.” — @GrousARK
“There is not going to be a single winner in this streaming war. There will be many winners.” — @GrousARK
“This is also a way for companies to bring new users into an ecosystem beyond just streaming.” — @GrousARK
ARK's statements are not an endorsement of any company or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security. For a list of all purchases and sales made by ARK for client accounts during the past year that could be considered by the SEC as recommendations, click here. It should not be assumed that recommendations made in the future will be profitable or will equal the performance of the securities in this list. For full disclosures, click here.