In this episode of FYI, we chat with Siraj Raval, Director of the School of AI, data scientist, entrepreneur, and much more. Siraj is a leading YouTube educator on the topic of AI and has helped half a million subscribers stay abreast of AI and the latest developments in the field. Today we discuss what prompted his focus on AI in general and deep learning in particular. Siraj also explains some of the recent news stories that have excited him and what he thinks we should pay more attention to. He talks about DeepMind’s AlphaFold, Open AI, self-driving cars and AI text generation. For all this and more, join us on today’s episode!
Key Points From This Episode:
- The turning point when Siraj decided to focus on YouTube teaching.
- Siraj’s unconventional and data driven approach to content creation.
- Why Siraj thinks people should pay more attention to Deep Mind’s AlphaFold and China.
- Comparing AlphaFold to previous algorithms for protein folding.
- Understanding Open AI’s text generator.
- Can we have intelligent AI without solving consciousness?
- Scaling existing systems versus breakthroughs and leaps.
- How Siraj has applied himself to public education instead of high profile company work.
- A little bit more about School of AI.
- Reasons for Siraj’s interest and belief in China.
- And much more!
“I mean the best we can do is to just try to make as many people as aware of this as possible and get as many different types of perspectives and cultures and value systems and genders and just all the different types of brains looking at this problem as possible.” — @sirajraval [0:19:22]
ARK's statements are not an endorsement of any company or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security. For a list of all purchases and sales made by ARK for client accounts during the past year that could be considered by the SEC as recommendations, click here. It should not be assumed that recommendations made in the future will be profitable or will equal the performance of the securities in this list. For full disclosures, click here.