On today’s episode, James Wang, web analyst at ARK Invest, joins us again to provide his always valuable insights—this time about IT and the cloud. While these topics may not seem as exciting as more talked about tech topics, interestingly enough we believe enterprise computing is valued at an estimated four trillion dollars. James talks about the history of cloud computing and how it has progressed to where it is today as well as its current trajectory. He also discusses some of the current big players and what inroads are being made by them and where they may be falling short. James makes the case for cloud computing and argues, as it currently stands, it is only the tip of the iceberg. Tune in to find out more about the exciting future of cloud computing.
Key Points From This Episode:
- How Amazon disrupted the market with cloud-based computing
- Why new companies are able to build infrastructure solely on public cloud
- What a hybrid cloud is
- How Nutanix has been able to grow so quickly
- James’ top three companies in public cloud
- The difference between Nutanix and Anthos
- Why Google may not be able to break into the cloud market
- How IT spending is shifting
- A shift has happened from consumer to enterprise computing
- Whether China has seen an explosion in enterprise
“The reality is that is it not really dictated by what is best. It is dictated by what works best for my reality.” — @jwangARK [0:18:28]
“In the transition to public cloud we are about one third there.” — @jwangARK [0:20:53]
ARK's statements are not an endorsement of any company or a recommendation to buy, sell or hold any security. For a list of all purchases and sales made by ARK for client accounts during the past year that could be considered by the SEC as recommendations, click here. It should not be assumed that recommendations made in the future will be profitable or will equal the performance of the securities in this list. For full disclosures, click here.