Understanding the Autonomous Vehicle Landscape and the Opportunity it Creates for Investors
Welcome to FYI, the For Your Innovation Podcast. This show offers an intellectual discussion on technologically enabled disruption, because we believe that investing in innovation starts with understanding it. Today on the show we welcome on Tasha Keeney, Analyst at ARK Investment, who covers autonomous transport and 3D printing. ARK is a leading investment manager focused on disruptive innovation that is changing the way the world works. ARK was formed to capitalize on the opportunities created by companies benefiting from technological change. Inside this episode, Tasha joins us to talk about the state of the autonomous vehicle landscape and the Mobility-as-a-Services thesis. We also dive into the different launching strategies for various autonomous car companies, predictions for the future of autonomous cars, and learning how to understand the potential opportunity for investors going forward. For all this and more, stay tuned for this incredible conversation.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Tasha’s view on what the autonomous car landscape looks like right now.
- The differences between level four and level five autonomous cars.
- Timelines for commercialization of Waymo and GM autonomous cars.
- Discussing launch locations and strategies for Waymo and GM autonomous cars.
- Tesla’s strategy for rolling out autonomous and how it differs from Waymo and GM.
- Understanding why LIDAR can be seen as a crutch for autonomous vehicles.
- Mechanical, or spinning, versus solid state LiDAR.
- The best way for investors to look at the opportunity of autonomous vehicles.