Exploring Space Laser Communication with Mynaric CEO Bulent Altan
Please note: as of 3/31/22, ARK’s clients own greater than 1% of the shares outstanding of Mynaric.
Mynaric CEO Bulent Altan began his career as one of the first employees at the then newly-established SpaceX in 2004, having graduated from Stanford University and following completion of his studies at the Technical University of Munich. At SpaceX, he was essential in growing the company’s avionics department from seven people to over 200 and was as Vice-President responsible for the avionics of the Falcon rockets as well as the Dragon capsule. Bulent is now the CEO of Mynaric and Investment Partner at Alpine Space Ventures. Publicly owned, Mynaric produces the optical fiber for the skies and enables as a pioneer of laser communication extremely fast and secure wireless data transmission between aircraft, drones and satellites. On today’s episode, ARK Associate Portfolio Manager Sam Korus and Director of Research Brett Winton talk to Bulent about space laser communication, drone to drone communication, Mynaric’s partnership with the military and much more!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Bulent Altan’s introduction to the space industry and working at SpaceX
- Bulent’s road to becoming the CEO of Mynaric
- How a satellite system works without optical communication
- The opportunity to operate in countries with significant firewalls
- The precision of laser communication
- Drone to drone communication
- The role software plays in the performance of Mynaric’s systems
- The potential cost decline trajectory of orbital communications
- How much power is required to communicate with space laser technology
- Mynaric’s partnerships with Northrup Grumman and L3Harris