How Online Education Prepares Us For the Future of Work with Mitch Daniels
As robots, automation, and artificial intelligence perform more tasks than ever before, there is a growing need for skills related to the technologies that support the automation of business processes. Education plays a key role in this process, and online education allows students and people who are actively working or aren’t able to relocate to upskill or reskill for new jobs.
Today’s guest is Mitch Daniels, former Governor of Indiana and the current President of Purdue University. In this episode, Mitch reflects on the advancements in higher education thanks to COVID-19?, the role that AI plays in this process, and how Purdue hopes to implement AI in improving education. He also shares a bit about Purdue Global and Purdue Online and how these programs are catering to those who want (or need) to enhance their skills. Find out more about Purdue’s Back a Boiler program, the role Mitch believes government should play in fighting student debt, and how the space race is driving decision-making at Purdue. All this and more in today’s episode, so stay tuned!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Mitch starts by reflecting on the advancements in higher education, particularly those propelled by COVID.
- The role that AI plays in the educational process and how Purdue hopes to implement it.
- Hear more about Purdue’s Global offering and the market needs it responds to.
- How Purdue Online caters to those who want to enhance their skills.
- Why Purdue wants to emphasize speed to degree.
- How professors embraced Purdue Online and rose to the challenge during COVID.
- Why Mitch encourages institutions to go ahead with online offerings as quickly as possible.
- Find out about Purdue’s Back a Boiler program; fighting the student debt crisis through income share agreements.
- What role Mitch believes the government should play in funding student education, starting with grants for low-income students.
- How Purdue is able to lower costs by empirically proving their value.
- How the space race is driving decision-making at Purdue, encouraging ‘giant leaps’.
- Books Mitch would recommend to listeners: Homo Deus and Enlightenment Now.