End to End 3D Printing with Velo3D CEO Benny Buller
Please note: as of 3/31/22, ARK’s clients own greater than 1% of the shares outstanding of Velo3D.
ARK expects 3D printing to revolutionize manufacturing by collapsing the time between design and production, reducing costs, and providing greater design complexity, accuracy and customization. We believe 3D printing can enable digital inventory and distributed manufacturing, adding flexibility to supply chains. On today’s episode, ARK Research Analyst Tasha Keeney and Research Associate Pierce Jamieson interview Benny Buller, founder and CEO of Velo3D, a leader in end-to-end 3D printing space. Benny observed the additive manufacturing (AM) industry with fresh eyes and no prior manufacturing experience. In doing so, he observed a fundamental flaw limiting the speed of AM adoption: Engineers not only had to learn a new manufacturing process (AM), but they also had to learn a new design process (DfAM). He built Velo3D from the ground up, solving for this root challenge, enabling design to inform manufacturing not the other way around.
Key Points in this Episode:
- The origin story of 3D Printing and why Benny started Velo3D.
- What determines a part’s usability with internal supports.
- What software Velo3D uses in the manufacturing process.
- The current repeatability of 3D printing and the overall importance of repeatability.
- The design process for additive manufacturing.
- Design freedom that 3D printing allows when manufacturing parts.
- What is driving growth in the additive manufacturing industry today.
- The future of material science and 3D printing.
- How machine learning and advanced optimization is affecting 3D printing.
- How 3D printing is driving the future of innovation.