Please note: as of 2/28/23, ARK’s clients own greater than 1% of the shares outstanding of Drafkings Inc.
Fantasy sports and sports betting are now well-known and developed markets that serve hundreds of millions of people, and today’s guest has found a way of bringing the two into the Web3 space. We are joined by the Co-Founder of DraftKings, Matt Kalish, as he gives us a sense of the moments surrounding his company’s venture into daily fantasy and mobile sports betting. Then, we learn about DraftKings NFT game Reignmakers, how it’s pushing new frontiers in Web3, how it works, and how it stacks up against other daily fantasy products. We also hear about how players and league associations have received DraftKings, as well as some key insights into some of the partnerships they have formed. Our guest explains his perspective on Web3 interoperability and the transfer of utility, why DraftKings chose to partner with Polygon, what he and his team hope to achieve in the next five years, and what excites him the most about the Web3 space. At the end of today’s episode, Matt gives us his assessment of his Boston Celtics season so far and why he thinks they are real title contenders.
Key Points From This Episode:
- An introduction to the Co-Founder of DraftKings, Matt Kalish.
- Matt’s professional background and how he became a founding member of DraftKings.
- When they launched their daily fantasy product and how they got into mobile sports betting.
- How DraftKings is pushing new frontiers in Web3 with Reignmakers.
- The way Reignmakers matches up to daily fantasy products, and how it works.
- How players and leagues have received DraftKings, and the partnerships they’ve formed.
- What Web3 interoperability means to Matt and his thoughts on the transfer of utility.
- Why DraftKings chose to work with Polygon.
- What Matt and his team hope to achieve in the next five years.
- How the introduction of NFTs in fantasy sports has impacted private betting behavior.
- What excites Matt the most about exiting the NFT winter and the Web3 space as a whole.
- Matt’s thoughts on the Boston Celtics season so far and where he thinks they’ll end up.